Did you know there's a connection between honey bees and coffee plants? Here are some fun facts you should "bee" aware of and share!
- Coffee trees produce caffeine as a natural defense against garden slugs. It's poisonous to them.
- Honeybees get low doses of caffeine when collecting nectar from coffee tree flowers. It's not poisonous to bees.
- Caffeine improves the honey bee's long-term memory, according to a study by neuroscientist Geraldine Wright.
- Honey bees enjoy caffeine and tend to return to caffeinated flowers more frequently. This makes them more productive. Maybe that's why they say "busy as a bee."
- Honeybees do a special figure-eight dance when returning to their hive after locating a caffeinated plant. It signals to the others the direction and distance of the plant. Honey bees are very social insects, so they want their friends to join the party!
Have some fun coffee facts to share? We'd love to hear them. Be sure to tag us on social media with your insights.